Since undergoing major upgrades from 2000-2006, Grantley Adams International Airport is now a major gateway to the islands of the Eastern Caribbean, including exotic tropical Barbados. Direct international flights link the island with North America and Europe. The airport now provides all the modern amenities travelers have come to expect, granting a warm welcome to arriving passengers and allowing those about to depart a chance to relax before their flights.
While most Caribbean airports are fairly small and provide basic amenities, I have to say that the Grantley Adams airport in Barbados has come on leaps and bounds. Their wide range of stores and multitude of seating areas provide a restful last stop before your departure home.
Their wide range of shopping facilities include:
- Departure Lounge – Souvenirs, Liquor and Wine, Tobacco, Perfumes and Cosmetics, Jewellery and Leather goods.
- The 10$ store – (my personal favourite!) Accessories, Jewellery, Scarves, Clothes, Leather Goods
- Best of Barbados – for all your last minute souvenirs.
- Columbian Emeralds and Diamonds International – for all your last minute upmarket souvenirs.
- Post Office, Exchange Bureau and Bank – any last minute administrative tasks can be resolved.
There is also airport-wide access to the free WiFi so that you can answer those emails, check that Facebook, and tweet your thoughts.
For departure snacks there are several cafes and an in-house cheffette for one last taste of roti.