There aren’t many alternatives that can match the delightful, cooling sensation of plunging into the calm waters of a private pool. Drenched in the Caribbean sunshine, many visitors to our luxury villa rentals expect the welcoming promise of at least a plunge pool to ease their stay.
Somehow, all the iced rum punch in the world can’t quench the need for indulgence the way dipping a toe into a welcome pool can. Being in the water can whisk you away from it all for a short while, the supportive nature of the water can prove liberating, relaxing and calming as the pool takes your weight.
We have compiled our top 10 private pools from across the world, to share the incredible design features that are commonplace throughout our luxury villa rentals and to provide you with inspiration for your next visit.
1. FUSTIC HOUSE – ST LUCY, BARBADOS
Regarded as one of the most prestigious locations in Barbados, this privately owned 11 acre estate boasts the most memorable of settings. The colonial style retreat is laden with modern amenities and the pool has to be the epitome of tropical living. The Oliver Messel designed, lagoon swimming pool has been carved from the coral stone ridge and is adorned with secret stairways and overhanging tree boughs. Swimming here, eases away all tension, and transports you to another world of luxury, relaxation and content.
2. IL SOGNO ESTATE VILLA – CANOUAN, THE GRENADINES
Planned down to the last detail, Il Sogno is truly magnificent. The 18m infinity pool, sun deck and two story gazebo boast spectacular views across the whole of Canouan. Guests can swim up to the edge and lazily view the beaches, golf course and neighbouring islands of this stunning destination.
3. FALCONS NEST – PETER ISLAND, BVI
Nestled into the cliffs of Peter Island, this dramatic 22,000 square foot estate is truly magical. With an infinity-edge pool overlooking the neighbouring islands, a dipping pool and a large outdoor whirlpool, guests have a plethora of choice. However, this villa is bought into our top three by its unique three storey waterfall and secret grotto. Truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
4. NELSON GAY – ST JAMES, BARBADOS
The focal point of the majestic, tropical gardens is the 50′ private pool that extends from the terrace towards the sea. Finished with Italian green tiling and mosaics of turtles and tropical fish, its stunning beauty is further enhanced with dramatic underwater lighting.
5. VILLA SUGAR MILL – GALLEY BAY HEIGHTS, ANTIGUA
Outdoor living and relaxing makes up a very large part of your stay at Sugar Mill. Directly in front of the ‘outdoor living room’ with its luxurious furniture and external speaker system, is the showpiece of the property. The infinity edge swimming pool and poolside Jacuzzi offer the most spectacular views of Galley Bay and the Caribbean Sea beyond.
6. SUNWATCH – ST JAMES, BARBADOS
Outside of the villa you will find the stunning 15m, freeform, infinity-edge pool along with a luxurious jacuzzi. A slide built into the rocky edge of the pool transports guests to a secret lower pool – ideal for the big kid in everyone! Sunset affords beautiful sunsets from the edge of the pool, cocktail in hand, freshly prepared from the poolside bar.
7. KAIROS – JUMBY BAY, ANTIGUA
Greek for ‘idle time’, Kairos truly fits the bill. It’s intricately designed 46′ infinity-edge pool allows you to swim right up to the beach edge, from which it is a few footsteps to the delightful Caribbean Sea. With the blending of both pool and ocean, we love how seamlessly the design of the villa blends into the natural beauty of Jumby Bay.
8. ANANTHA ASMANI – CAP ESTATE, ST LUCIA
This wrap-around, infinity pool has been designed to take full advantage of the panoramic views of the Caribbean Sea from high in the Cap Estate. Offering privacy, seclusion and relaxation this villa is truly unique. The swim up edges of the pool allow visitors to feel that they are truly teetering on the edge of the earth.
9. FINCA ALOU – CALA D’OR, MALLORCA
Set amidst a glorious valley with incredible views of the neighbouring mountains, this crystal clear 12m pool is ideal for the avid swimmer. With a thoroughly relaxing jacuzzi at one end, and a small child’s pool at the other it is perfect for all ages and a true delight to swim in.
10. ES CASTELL – CALA D’OR, MALLORCA
The crystal clear eco (no chlorine) swimming pool, uses the latest Sal-Agua system ensuring the cleanest, freshest pool water. This family friendly pool is perfect for those with more sensitive skin or who are allergic to chlorine. Plus, it boasts incredible views of the mountains AND a hot tub and private sauna. Bliss!
As well as the visual beauty of these pools, having the opportunity to indulge in regular swimming has fantastic benefits whilst at home and abroad. At Handpicked Villas over 300 of our 322 luxury villas boast a private pool, have access to luxurious communal pools or accommodate a hot tub/jacuzzi, so we always recommend dipping a toe in the water.
Health Benefits Of Swimming
1. Low impact, aerobic exercise.
2. Good counter-attack for all the delicious food on-island, meaning you can have your cake and eat it!
3. A lot less likely to cause injury than traditional ground based sports.
4. Great for increasing lung capacity – have to regulate and control your breathing which strengthens your internal muscles.
5. This form of cardio-vascular exercise gives your whole body a workout, and gets your blood pumping without you noticing.
6. The buoyancy of the water is gentle on the joints, perfect for those who are stiff and sore after a long flight.
7. This gentle, enjoyable exercise burns at least 500 calories an hour!
8. Open water swimming is a great way to take in the fresh air, which improves your skin condition and general feeling of wellbeing.
Other Benefits Of Swimming
– Being poolside is such a social activity, and swimming excludes no-one. From the smaller guests who are learning to swim for the first time, to the heads of the family, everybody can enjoy a dip.
– Being in the water is good for an all over tan due to the reflective nature of the water. This is more prominent in clear, chlorinated pools which the majority of ours are (however, please remember to still top-up your sunscreen to avoid burning).
– There are genuine psychological benefits of swimming. It is relaxing and focuses the mind and is guaranteed to bring you enjoyment, calmness and refreshment.
– Regular exercise also aids the quantity and quality of sleep you have, perfect for combatting the sometimes weakening effects of jet lag.
Looking for even more private pools? Our reservations team are here to help! Whether your passion is poolside reclining, bobbing in the calm waters of the Caribbean, or serious strokes in olympic-worth pools, we have villas with every imaginable option.